Tuesday, August 5, 2008

HOT WEATHER WE'RE HAVING

Hi, I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin'.


It sure has been hot out there the last few days but I just think it has more to do with it being summer than with global warming. There have always been heat waves and droughts and other long spells of bad weather. Odis Walker was telling me about the hottest summer he could remember. "Well, we had a terrible winter that year. It had got so cold that one our two mules had froze to death and we were kind of glad the warm weather had come. Zeke was the mule who froze and the mule who was left was named Buck. Buck seemed to really miss old Zeke and it was just like a person who loses somebody close mournin' fer 'em.
He warn't much good for plowin' or no kind of farm work after Zeke died because he just didn't seem to be in the mood for it. We even borrowed a mule to hook up beside him and try to get him back to workin' but he wouldn't allow us to put the harness on the other mule. Every time we would try he would just turn and bite the other mule. We finally just gave up on him.
When it got hot summer we just kind of left old Buck alone, just hopin' he would get over his mournin' in time to pull the wagon for harvest. We hit a long hot spell where it got to be over a hunnert ever day for about three weeks and it was to where couldn't nobody stand to be out in. We put old Buck in the barn so he would at least be out of the sun. We had stored some popcorn in the loft of the barn and it got so hot that the popcorn started poppin' and drifting down through the cracks.
I reckon old Buck, being in the state of mind he was, was remembering the snow storm that killed old Zeke. When that popcorn started poppin' and fallin' through the cracks in that loft old Buck thought it was another snowstorm and he layed down right there in that barn and froze to death."
I guess I have told you that old Odis can spin a windy with the best of them.


I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin':

Ya'll send me an email;bo@bolumpkin.com or bolumpkin@gmail.com

WATCH MY MOVIES:

http://www.motionbox.com/folders?user_id=ec98dbb9151ee761

1 comment:

Leave me a comment. I like feedback.
Bo