Thursday, August 14, 2008

LIFE SENTANCE

Hi, I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin'.
Most of us got where we are today by the decisions we made, either good or bad. Old Bodie Barlow is one of those people who started at the bottom and found out he kind of liked it there. Old Bodie moved here shortly after he got married to Claudette. I don't like to speak ill of nobody and someone once said there ain't no such thing as an ugly woman but I reckon they hadn't ever seen Claudette. I always kind of wondered how old Bodie ever ended up marryin' her and I finally found out the other day.
I saw old Bodie's truck sittin' under a shade tree and Bodie was in it and he seemed to be bad disturbed. He was just sittin' there starin' out the windshield and shaking his head and it seemed that he was just about to cry.
I got out and walked over to his truck to see if he was alright and after a minute he sniffed a time or too and said, "I reckon I'll be alright Bo. It's just that today's my 20th anniversary and it just got me to thinkin'."
I was a little confused, which ain't a real rare occurence around here and then he started to explain, "It's like this Bo.You know I ain't from around here. I'm from up in Tennessee and when I was a young man I kind of got myself in trouble with the law. Claudette's daddy was a judge. I didn't even know it at the time but Claudette had been sweet on me for awhile and her daddy would do just about anything to make her happy."
"As I said I was in trouble with the law and the Judge had a talk with me. He told me that I could go to jail for 20 years for what I had done but if I would marry Claudette he would get me off."
I didn't much know what to say, "Well I can guess what you decided to do by why are you all upset now after 20 years."
He couldn't hold it back any longer and he just bust out cryin' and said, "Cause even if I had to serve the whole 20 years I woulda been gettin out of prison today."
I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin'.
Ya'll send me an email:bo@bolumpkin.com or bolumpkin@gmail.com

1 comment:

Leave me a comment. I like feedback.
Bo