Friday, August 1, 2008

NEXT OF KIN

Hi, I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin'.
Some folks just seem to go out of their way to pick at the preacher. We are lucky to have one with a good sense of humor and I kind of appreciate the fact that he is able to give back as good as he gets. One instance comes to mind right off. One morning not too long ago Bro. Ben Shorter woke up early and went out to get his paper.
It was still a little dark and he could make out that there was something big in his yard right out next to the road. He walked over to get a closer look and it was a dead donkey.
It was still too early for anyone to be in the county offices so he went on in and had his coffee and breakfast. He waited until about 8 o'clock to call but he wanted to call before too late so all the county workers wouldn't be out on jobs already. He called and got the foreman on the line. "This is Bro. Ben Shorter over at the Gatorhead Baptist Parsonage and I just wanted to call and let you know that there is a dead donkey in my yard right next to the road."
The foreman laughed and said, "I thought you were in the business of burying the dead." Bro. Shorter didn't even hesitate.
He just said, "That's true but we always try to notify the next of kin first." and then hung up the phone. They had that donkey gone off the parsonage yard first thing that morning.

I'm Bo Lumpkin, and I've been thinkin'.
Ya'll oughta e-mail me:bo@bolumpkin.com or bolumpkin@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. I love it!!! I can think of a few people that might be next of kin!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I like feedback.
Bo