Sunday, February 15, 2009

PRISON REFORM

(This was formerly posted in Rambler)

Hi, I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin'.
I heard someone the other day say that it takes over $30,000 dollars a year for the upkeep of each person in a correctional facility. I think that right there is part of the problem, it didn't cost near as much when we sent them to prisons and penal farms instead of correctional facilities.We had guards to keep them in and make them act right instead of correctional officers.
This ain't a matter of arithmetic. We shouldn't be sendin' them there to be corrected, we ought to be sendin' them there to be punished. Now all of ya'll who know me know that I ain't a harsh man. I don't want to see them starved or beaten (severely) or treated in an inhumane way but I do think it ought to be hard enough that they would want to make sure when they got out that they would never want to go back.
Speakin' from personal experience I know there are a lot of people who don't make $30,000 dollars a year to live on. I do understand that you have to figure in the cost of the correctional officers and a lot of extra barbed wire but from all my figurin' I just can't see why it cost us that much to keep the bad guys off the streets.
I was talkin' to Kurt and Burt about this situation and I asked them what they thought about prison reform. Burt said, "I reckon it might help if we would send them a better class of prisoners."
Well, with all the crooked politicians and the CEO scandals that are goin' on I ain't so sure that ain't such a bad idea.
I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin', if some of the high dollar criminals get thrown in jail how about we make them pay fer their own stay. Whatchall been thinkin? Leave me a comment or send me an email to bo@bolumpkin.com or bolumpkin@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment. I like feedback.
Bo