Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Braggin' Parents

Hi, I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin'.
One of the things I've been thinkin' about lately is how proud parents are of their youngun's, especially when they do good. Parent's of bright children are strong believers in heredity. The ones with less brilliant offspring want to blame the environment they live in.
Have you ever noticed all them bumper stickers that say, "My Child is an Honor Student at _______School." You don't ever see one that says, "If my child had missed one more question in high school he wouldn't have graduated?" I have never seen one that said, "My Son Was Paroled Early For Good Behavior".
One good thing is that kids do sometime change and straighten up when they get older. I always tell everyone that when I was a youngun I was the type of boy my mama didn't want me to play with. (THERE IS A WHOLE LOT OF TRUTH TO THAT). People do change, some for the better, some for the worse.
I remember when I was in school the big strong athletes that used to pick on the smart kids that weren't so big. The ideal was if you were big and strong and had pretty good sense too, but that was rare. I've wonder a lot if those big old boys remember picking on the brainy kids, especially since they are probably working for them. You can bet the brainy kids remember the big old boys who picked on them.
I reckon parents will be braggin' on their younguns as long a folks keep havin' younguns. Boomer is a right smart boy and his mama Maybelle say's, "Well, Boomer must have got his daddy's brains."
That seemed kind of strange since Lonzo gets wet a lot because he don't know to git in out of the rain so I asked her why she thought that.
"Because I still have mine." she said.
I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin', it don't matter if our younguns are honor students or not, they need us to love 'em and be proud of 'em just the same.
Send me a note: bo@bolumpkin.com or leave a comment.
It's easier to go to the movie section now. You just click on BO LUMPKIN MOVIES in the upper right hand corner of this page. I need some feedback on the new cartoon format.

3 comments:

  1. Gotta love them younguns!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank the Lord you gotta love youguns or my mama would have killed me dead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew a boy who graduated high school with a point to spare and blamed his mom. "I knew you were making me work to hard."

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I like feedback.
Bo