Wednesday, September 10, 2008

NOW THAT'S EXCITEMENT

Hi, I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin'.
I guess even in a small community you can have your share of excitement. Sometimes it's brought on by a windy spinner like Old Odis and sometimes it just happens. When it happens and a real sharp youngun' describes it to you it seems so much more excitin' than if you see it yourself.
Boomer stopped by the other day and he was excited about something that happened in school. He was so excited that it took him a little while to calm down enough for me to understand it. It had something to do with the teacher leaving and them have a substitute. When he finally calmed down I got the details.
"Our regular teacher was at the blackboard after the roll call. Today was the day for show and tell, which we don't do til after lunch and she was just up there writin' some problems on the board."
"Wade, he's in my class, brought his pet mouse in a shoe box for show and tell. The teacher had her back turned so Wade opened the box to show it to Kenny. When he opened it the mouse jumped out and ran toward the front of the class. All the girls started screaming and I reckon that must have cared George, that's the mouse's name, and he took off running toward the blackboard. Just about the time the teacher turned around that little mouse ran up her pants leg and she started dancing and screamin' just like the girls were."
"I reckon that was pretty scary for her," I said when he finally paused long enough to take a breath.
"She must be pretty strong too," Boomer said.
"Why is that?," I asked.
"That little bitty woman must be strong. She squeezed pretty near a quart of water out of that little old mouse."
I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin', If I was Wade I'd try to make sure that no one knew he was the one that brought the mouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment. I like feedback.
Bo