Friday, July 11, 2008

WAXING ELEPHANTS

Hi I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin'.
When kids hear things in church(or anywhere else) they might not always get them exactly right but sometimes they get the general idea of what is meant.
Bro. Ben Shorter over at the Gatorhead Baptist Church was talking to a group of men at a fellowship the other night. He was telling about a well known evangelist that came to his church and a lot of the people wanted to record his sermon so they all lined up their tape recorders on the front pews. They were the old kind that made a real loud click, almost a pop, when they came to the end of the tape. Bro. Shorter was sort of laughing as he told them, "They had all put in 30 minute tapes in the recorders and the evangelist began to wax elequent, that's what we preachers call getting long winded, and those tape recorders began to run out of tape and snap off. It sounded like a small war or a dove hunt for awhile."
All the men got the point and laughed, Lonzo's eight year old boy, Boomer, didn't quite get the pronunciation of Waxing Elequent. He said, "We've had a lot of preachers here who liked to wax elephants too." The men thought that was funnier than the story Bro. Shorter told. Lonzo said, "That's right son, some of them missionaries that have come have waxed two or three elephants at a time."
Ever since that time when the men of the church think a preacher goes a little long on time they refer to it as Waxing Elephants.
I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin'.
Ya'll write me sometime. I'd love to hear from you:bo@bolumpkin.com or bolumpkin@gmail.com

Ya'll click here to watch my movies:

http://www.motionbox.com/folders?user_id=ec98dbb9151ee761

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment. I like feedback.
Bo