Saturday, June 6, 2009

NO MECHANICAL (OR OTHER) ABILITIES

Hi, I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin'. Some kids who ain't real book smart sometimes have other talents and abilities that make up for it. Lonzo says that ain't the case with his oldest boy Arlis.
"That boy just ain't got it in 'im to do right no matter what he tries. He's my boy and I love him and all but he can't do well in school and he can't do much else. Even his brother Boomer who ain't but eight years old says he's worthless as a truckload of postholes."
"I used to try to get him to help out around the place some but ever since he broke my anvil I don't let him near my tools. You remember the story Bro. Dave Gardner the comedian used to tell where the lady yelled at her son, 'James Lewis you get away from that wheel-barrow, you know you don't know nuthin' about machinery."
"Well James Lewis was a veritable engineer next to Arlis. I really worry about him too because lazy as he is hard work ain't much of an option. He thinks Manual Labor is the president of Mexico."
One thing I've learned over the years is that every kid can't be the smartest in class and everyone can't be the quarterback of the football team. Every girl can't be prettiest one around and everyone of them can't be head cheerleader. The best way to deal with that is to just love them. My mama used to tell me ,"Son, I sure love you, but I sure don't like your lowdown ways." I reckon that was enough, I eventually changed my ways and didn't turn out too bad. When we get to thinking about the younger generation we need to remember how we were at their age, and so far, we survived.
I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin'.
Ya'll write me an e-mail. I sure would like to hear from you.bo@bolumpkin.com and bolumpkin@g-mail.com

2 comments:

  1. I wonder, besides you and I, who else remembers Bro. Dave Gardner? He was one of my favorites when I was much younger. Great blog today.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. been hearing on the news that some schools are wanting to pay kids for good grades. The water park our kids went to yesterday rewarded them with a 50% discount for an A. That is good, the grade is earned the reward is just that. My son even got in cheap because he had a 100 in P.E. His pay is not wasting a year of his life repeating 9th grade. (and in a few subjects he really had to work hard to pull them F+'s to D-'s)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I like feedback.
Bo