Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Good Melon

Hi ya'll, I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin'.

Ain't it amazin how much louder temptation knocks than opportunity. I reckon just about everybody gets tempted sooner or later and a whole lot of the time our resistance depends a whole lot on whose lookin'.

I was down at the Grab Sum Grub early one mornin' last week when Bro. Ben Shorter, pastor of the Gatorhead Baptist Church, stopped by the round table and sat with all us coffee drinkers. He hadn't been in all week and someone asked him where he'd been.

"I went down to the Hilton in Jackson for the week. We had a Bible conference there. One of the bellhops told me that he didn't particularly like these Baptist meetings. He said "All these Baptist preachers get here with the Ten Commandments in one hand and a hundred dollar bill in the other and they try to leave without breaking either one of them."

One of the men spoke up and said, "I don't reckon outside the preachin' and singin' there is much excitement that goes on at one of them conferences is there?"

Bro. Ben just smiled, "Well we didn't have too much excitement at ours other than in the services but that same bellhop told me about the last conference another denomination had there. He said that they had a group of salesmen there for a convention at the same time and both groups had a banquet scheduled on the same night. The Hotel had prepared angel food cake for the preachers for dessert and they had prepared spiked watermelon for the salesmen. Someone in the kitchen got the two banquets mixed up and sent the cake to the salesmen and the spiked watermelon to the preachers."

"I'll bet that really got some folks riled up," I said.

"The bellhop said it really didn't seem to upset anyone. He said the salesmen liked the cake well enough and a good many of the preachers were seen putting those watermelon seeds in their pockets."
I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin', Whatchall been thinkin'. Leave me a comment or send me an email to bo@bolumpkin.com. I'd shore like to share some of them thoughts with my other readers.(Both of 'em)

1 comment:

Leave me a comment. I like feedback.
Bo