Friday, December 5, 2008

BOOMER THE MIGHTY HUNTER

Hi, I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin'. In just about every country and every culture there is a rite of passage into growing up. I reckon around here it is when you kill your first deer.
Boomer came by the other day with his huntin' clothes on and he still had blood on them and I knew by that shy smile he had on his face he had killed a deer. He didn't want to just come right out and announce it even though he was about to bust so I let him off the hook.
"Boomer," I said, "What is that all over your clothes? Did you spill something on yourself?"
"No sir," he smiled, "Me and my daddy just got through cleaning a deer."
"Did your daddy kill one today?" I asked, knowin' the answer.
"No sir," he smiled, "I killed it. It was a little five point but daddy said it was a real good first deer."
I went on over him and made a fuss and it really tickled him and it did me too just to see him so happy. He went through every detail from the time they left the house to the time they got through cleaning it. I knew then that he was a real hunter. The real joy of huntin' ain't in the killin', it's in the sharin', it's in the experience of a daddy and a son spendin' time together and doin' somethin' special. Most of all it's in the tellin'. He'll be tellin' that story for the rest of his life. If I had a little more time I'd tell you about my first one, even though I don't hunt much anymore except with a camera, I still remember all the stories, and when I get around a bunch of other men I still tell 'em.
To be honest with you, my first deer was illegal and the game wardens took him. They took my deer but they can't ever take away the story. Boomer now has a story. I hope he has many more to come but this one will always be special.
Before Boomer left I asked him if his brother Arlis had killed a deer. Boomer just shook his head, "I think Arlis is too lazy to hunt. About the only way he would kill one is if it come in the house and got between him and the TV."
I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin', I am afraid I've got more in common with Arlis than Boomer these days when it comes to huntin'. About the only way I'm likely to get another one is in self-defense.
Whatchall been thinkin'? I'd sure like to know and I bet there are a lot of folks who read this that would like to know too. Leave me a comment, or you can send me an email to bo@bolumpkin.com and tell me about the exciting things goin' on in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment. I like feedback.
Bo