Monday, October 6, 2008

WHO IS THAT?

Hi, I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin'.
Some people's character sure does get better when they pass away. I asked Bro. Ben Shorter, pastor of Gatorhead Baptist Church, how he handled it when he had to preach the funeral of some ornery old cuss who died. Bro. Ben said he usually didn't say much one way or the other about the departed and would just preach a short sermon.
He went on to say that he knew some of his preacher friends who would kind of put a haze on reality on occasion. He said he wasn't actually present but heard about one funeral of such a person.
Bro. Ben said, "The preacher went on and on about what a fine person the deceased was, making statements like, He was a good faithful husband. He was a good daddy. He was a hard worker and good provider for his family. His neighbors were lucky to have a man like him in the community because he was always willing to help out those in need or those who were less fortunate."
Bro. Ben said that the man's widow reached over and nudged her son and said, "Boy, go up there and see who's in that casket. We must be in the wrong service because I know that ain't your daddy that preacher is talking about."
I'm Bo Lumpkin and I've been thinkin', when I depart this world for the next one I hope someone can say a few good things about me without having to be too creative. I reckon about the best thing that could be said about a man would be, "He did the best he knew how to do."

1 comment:

  1. they'll say "He loved the Lord and his wife and kids and grandkids and those pesky sisters"

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I like feedback.
Bo